Thursday, April 3, 2014

B-103

  For the past decade or so, my car radio has been tuned to WBZO-FM or "B-103" as it is more commonly known. It is our local "Oldies" station and, for most of those years, the morning drive time has been the home of The Wiseman and Frank. They combine music trivia, wacky surveys, and witty banter into an always entertaining mix. Just how well they work together is evident anytime one or the other is off; "boring" comes to mind.
  When I first started listening, the play list was mostly '60s rock and roll -- Beatles, Beach Boys, 4 Seasons, Supremes, et al -- the music I grew up listening to. A few years ago, music from the '70s started to creep into the mix. More recently, they've jumped into a play list that is much more heavily '80s and have pretty much left the older music behind.
  Now they've made it official: Starting on Monday, they will be playing "Classic Hits" from the '70s and '80s. Elton John, Billy Joel, and the Eagles are now the headliners. The '60s are gone.
  Okay, I understand that I'm no longer their target audience: They want the 40-to-50-year-olds rather than old fogies like me so they move on to the music familiar to that age group. What I don't understand is the other part of this reorganization...
  They are moving The Wiseman to the afternoon drive time and have apparently sent Frank packing! So, will the "B" in B-103 now stand for "Boring"? If so, for me it will also mean "Bye-Bye."

No comments:

Post a Comment